Designed by Conquent

National Museum of Athens

It is the most important archaeological museum in Greece and one of the richest in the world concerning ancient Greek art. Its collections are representative of all the cultures that flourished in Greece.

The construction of the museum was begun in 1866 and completed in 1889 with the gradual addition of the west wing in 1874, of the north in 1881, of the south in 1885 and finally, of the east wing. The building was erected in a large plot donated by Helen Tositsa, with the financial support of Demetrios and Nicolaos Vernardakis, the Archaeological Society and the Greek state.

The building of the museum was originally designed by the architect Ludwig Lange but his plans were partially modified by Panages Kalkos and later, by Harmodios Vlachos and Ernst Ziller, who completely rearranged the facade and changed the plan of the east wing and the central hall. Two additions were made on the east side of the building; a new wing was constructed in the early 20th century based on the plans of Anastasios Metaxas and a two-storeyed building, designed by G. Nomikos, was erected in 1932-39.

Bronze dagger

Both sides of the dagger are covered with gold and silver decoration inlaid in bands of niello. On one side of the blade a lion hunting scene is depicted and on the other, lions seizing antelopes. It was found in Shaft Grave IV of Grave Circle A at Mycenae. Dated to the second half of the 16th century B.C.

The Vapheio cups

Pair of gold cups found in the tholos tomb of Vapheio in Laconia. The releif representations depict scenes of bull-chasing. They are unique masterpieces of the Creto-Mycenaean metalwork, dated to the first half of the 15th century B.C.

Gold mask from Mycenae

Funerary gold mask known as "Schliemann's Agamemnon", found in Shaft grave V of Grave Circle A at Mycenae. Dated to the second half of the 16th century B.C.

Landscape of Thera

The "Spring" fresco depicting the landscape of Thera with volcanic rocks, red lilies and swallows flying in the air. From Complex D at Akrotiri, Thera. 16th century B.C.

Group of Aphrodite and Pan

Marble group representing Aphrodite, the goat-footed Pan and Eros. It was found on Delos and dates to ca. 100 B.C.

Grave stele of Hegeso

The relief stele represents the deceased Hegeso, daughter of Proxenos, seated on a chair and, in front of her, a maiden servant. It was found in the cemetery of Kerameikos, in Athens. Dated to the end of the 5th century B.C.

The Poseidon of Artemision

The statue represents Poseidon brandishing the trident with his raised right hand. It is an original work of a great sculptor, possibly of Kalamis. It was raised from the sea, off the cape Artemision, in north Euboea. Dated to ca. 460 B.C.

The "jockey" of Artemision

The statue represents a young man riding a horse. He probably held the reins in his left hand and a whip in the right. It was found in pieces, in the area of a shipwreck off the cape Artemision, in north Euboea. Dated to ca. 140 B.C.

The youth from Antikythera

Statue of a young man, a god or a hero who held a spherical object in his right hand (possibly Paris with the apple). It is one of the most brilliant products of the Peloponnesian bronze sculpture, perhaps the work of the famous sculptor Euphranor. It was found in the area of an ancient shipwreck off the island of Antikythera. Dated to 340 B.C.

Swords and Spears


An example of military equipment from the 4th Century B.C.

Greek Vase

Painted depicting a Chariot Driver from the 6th Century B.C.

Greek Vase

From the 4th Century B.C. painted with an Octopus indicating influence from the Mediterranean Sea.